The Ark Apartments
● A safe, affordable housing environment with a commitment to Christian lifestyle, principles, and servanthood.
● A group of people from all walks of life including diverse backgrounds of addiction recovery, prison/jail, higher education, employment, disabilities, emotional/spiritual maturity, race/culture, age, etc. with an aim to share life together as we seek to know God better, become more like Him, and serve Him and each other.
● A program of Mission Waco Mission World, a Christian faith-based non-profit (501c3) in Waco, TX.
Applications available at the Meyer Center, 1226 Washington Avenue — enter through the single door on N. 13th side (open weekday and Saturday mornings. Call 254-296-9866, ext 200 for specific schedule.) Contact Ark staff if you have questions about the application process.
Core characteristics of Ark residents:
1. Prior to approval:
- Commitment of faith in Jesus Christ
- Expressed desire to grow in understanding of God, self and others through Christian community living;
- Participate in a local expression of the Body of Christ – regular attendance for worship, and preferably involvement in some type of regular discipleship (bible study, etc).
- Intent to stay at Ark for 1 year minimum
- 9 months of sobriety from alcoholism or drug addiction.
- Recent history of sufficient income for Ark housing fee structure (Ark housing fee plus utilities does not exceed 30% of monthly income). 6-months preferred.
- Recent history of stable housing. 6-months preferred. A transitional shelter program can count as stable housing, but emergency shelter will not count.
- Person has a support system in place for other issues (legal, mental health, child custody, domestic violence, probation), if applicable.
2. While at Ark:
- Continue showing stability/growth in above areas
- Create a Life Plan for holistic growth. Identify a few goals in areas such as vocation, spiritual, recreation, emotional, mental health, financial – and give updates to MWMW social worker or case manager.
- Participate in Ark community life.
- Housing fees paid on time, and any late fees if applicable.
- Apartment maintained in sanitary and safe manner.
- Willingness to work together toward a Christ-like and peaceful community life. (Consider scriptures like Philippians 2 and 1 Corinthians 13 and Galatians 5 and Colossians 3:12-17). This attitude includes characteristics like: Respect yourself and others with your words, attitudes and actions; Be a responsible host for your own guests; Preventing and stopping gossip in the community; Valuing others by listening and being considerate of their perspective; Willingness to pursue friendships with residents
Applicant must meet characteristics of #1 above to be accepted at the Ark.
Housing fees are affordable, and based on percentage of income within maximum/minimum range for efficiency, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom units. Residents pay their own electricity.
October 2017 Update
The Ark has two 1-Bedroom/1-bathroom apartments available.