THE ARK APARTMENTS
The Ark Apartments
Could you or someone you know benefit from living in a cost-effective, Christian-based, community-centered apartment complex in Waco?
The Ark is a safe, affordable housing environment with a commitment to Christian lifestyle, principles and servanthood. Since 1998, people from all walks of life have come together in order to seek to know God better, become more like Him and serve both Him and each other. Our residents will tell you how the Ark has allowed them to move from living in isolation to living in community. Amidst this process they’ve also learned to see others as God sees them and to steward their financial resources wisely.
The Ark functions as a haven for single moms with kids, senior adults, people with mental health issues and those with other vulnerabilities. We have residents from many different backgrounds and life experiences. However, there are some minimum requirements that applicants must meet in order to be accepted into the program.
Prior to approval, Ark applicants must demonstrate these core characteristics:
- You’ve committed to following Jesus Christ.
- You desire to grow in your understanding of God, yourself and others through living in Christian community.
- You already participate in a local expression of the body of Christ, including consistent attendance for worship, discipleship, Bible study, etc.
- You intend to stay at the Ark for a minimum of one year.
- You have been sober from alcoholism or drug addiction for at least 9 months.
- Your financial records from the past six months show that you have sufficient income for the Ark housing fee structure; the housing fee plus utilities should not exceed 30% of your monthly income.
- You can show a recent history of stable housing. A transitional shelter program counts; emergency shelters do not.
- You have a support system in place for other issues. Including, but not limited to legal, recovery, mental health, child custody, domestic violence, probation, etc.
While living at the Ark, these are our expectations for residents:
- You continuously show stability and growth in the aforementioned areas.
- You will create a Life Plan for holistic growth, identifying vocational, spiritual, emotional, mental, recreational, financial and health-related goals. You will meet with and give updates to a Mission Waco Mission World social worker or case manager.
- You must actively participate in Ark community life.
- You must pay housing fees on time, including late fees if applicable.
- You will keep your apartment in a safe and sanitary condition.
- You will demonstrate a willingness to work together in building a Christ-like and peaceful community. We encourage you to consider scriptures like Philippians 2, 1 Corinthians 13, Galatians 5 and Colossians 3:12-17.
- You will embody Christ in your actions:
- Respecting yourself and others with your words and actions.
- Being a responsible host for your guests.
- Preventing gossip in the community.
- Valuing others by listening and being considerate of their perspectives.
- Pursuing friendships with other residents.
Housing fees are based on a percentage of income within a minimum/maximum range for affordability. The complex consists of 18 apartment units typically housing 20-30 people: fourteen one-bedroom units, one efficiency unit, one two-bedroom unit and one three-bedroom unit. Residents pay for their own electricity.