One City, One Race, One Goal!
Race ONE is a chip-timed 5K and a 1 Mile Fun Run.
Race ONE brings together neighbors, Waco community, and college students.
Race ONE is also a specific fundraiser for various Mission Waco Mission World programs.
Saturday April 30, 2022
Celebrating our 10th Year in 2022!
PACKET PICK-UP: Packets for ALL Pre-registered and Late Registrations will be available in Jubilee Park, 1308 N. 15th on race day at 7am, until 7:45am for 5k, and until 8:45am for 1 Mile Fun Run.
In addition, PAID Pre-registrants may come to Early Packet Pickup on Friday before the race from 4-7pm (look for details in email that will be sent Wed 4/27).
WHAT ABOUT THE WEATHER? We’re watching the forecast and hoping and praying for clear skies. Any change of plans will be posted on this page and announced on site. Reminder that if the run/walk events are canceled because of circumstances beyond the control of the race committee and sponsors, including, but not limited to, unsafe weather conditions or governmental bans, entry fee will not be refunded.
REGISTER for 5k or Fun Run
5k – $20 early registration and on-line registration ends midnight Tuesday Apr 26*. $25 late registration available race day 7am-7:45am at Jubilee Park.
Fun Run – $15 early registration and on-line registration ends midnight Tuesday Apr 26*. $20 late registration available race day 7am-8:30am at Jubilee Park.
Virtual Runner options also available for those who are unable to attend in person but are ready to support Mission Waco Mission World!
*T-shirts! If you register by Tues Apr 12 you are guaranteed a t-shirt! If you register after that you’ll get one as supplies last!
FREE REGISTRATION if you are:
- Current resident of Brook Oaks Neighborhood (boundaries are Lake Brazos, Waco Drive, N.15th/N. 18th, Herring)
- Current resident of Sanger-Heights Neighborhood (boundaries are N. 15th, Waco Drive, N. 26th, Lasker)
- Current Mission Waco program participant
- T-shirt not included for Free Registrations. Order on-line for $10 when you complete your Free Registration. Or pay in person — come by Mission Waco main office, 1315 N. 15th Street (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) if that is more convenient. Deadline for all t-shirt orders is Tuesday April 12, 2022 — or check with us on race day to see if any extras are for sale.
Contact us (deadline is usually early April) to be included in printed sponsorships on t-shirt and race day publicity, or for info about other sponsorship opportunities. Sponsors may click “Donate” at top of the webpage – and please note “Race ONE Sponsor” in the comment line.
What is Mission Waco Mission World?
Mission Waco Mission World is a 501c3 non-profit. Our mission is to: 1) Provide Christian-based holistic, relationship-based programs that empower the poor and marginalized, 2) Mobilize middle-class Americans to become more compassionately involved among the poor, and 3) Seek ways to overcome the systemic issues of social injustice which oppress the poor and marginalized.
We are a volunteer-based organization. Though core staff members lead the programs, virtually every area of Mission Waco Mission World relies on volunteers to build relationships with program participants, provide help for maintaining and cleaning program buildings, assist with other fundraisers, serve customers in our retail stores, and more. Our volunteer base includes people from the community and area churches, program participants, as well as out-of-town groups who come to serve/learn here.
Charity Navigator gives us a high ranking, and we are members in the Better Business Bureau. Quite a bit of info is on our web page that will help you learn more but please feel free to contact us if you would like more info or to ask questions.
How does Race ONE help Mission Waco Mission World?
Race ONE helps in 2 ways:
1. Community — Race ONE brings together people from all areas of Waco in a neighborhood that has a history of being overlooked and abandoned. Back in the early 1900’s this neighborhood was one of the first “suburbs” of downtown Waco and the corner of N.15th & Colcord had one of the first shopping centers and a first-run movie theater. Over time as the city grew and shifted to the west and racial differences and poverty divided the city, the shopping center became home to bars and a porn theater and drug deals and prostitution were visible day and night. In the mid-1990’s, Mission Waco received what is now the Jubilee Center as a gift (with some leaking roofs!) and began to reclaim and rebuild. Other non-profits, churches, neighbors, and businesses have joined together to create a neighborhood that is on the rebound. The corner of N. 15th & Colcord is a great stop for a meal now with D’s Mediterranean Grill and World Cup Café/Fair Trade Market and Jubilee Food Market and Urban R.E.A.P. greenhouse, or visiting the kind medical staff at Family Health Center, or filling your aquarium from North Waco Tropical Fish! Habitat for Humanity and Waco Community Development Corporation have built many new homes with low- and middle-income homeowners. West Avenue and Brook Oaks Elementary Schools hold prominent places of positive investment in our children. Race ONE is a great day for all of us to get out in the neighborhood together for some exercise, greeting neighbors, making some new friends. We welcome you to our neighborhood and hope you enjoy the day!
2. Fund Raising for our programs —
All people who are pre-registered will be provided a ballot to “vote” on race day for the Mission Waco Mission World program of their choice to receive $15 of the Race ONE proceeds. Our program directors provide a list on the ballot of specific needs in their program areas. Ballots will only be accepted at Jubilee Park on race day from 7am-9am. If you have a favorite Mission Waco program — recruit your friends to pre-register and come out on race day to “vote” their support!
Sponsorships for the race can be designated to a specific program of Mission Waco Mission World. Contact the program director or race director for more info.
7 am – Race Day registration opens at Jubilee Park, 1308 N. 15th. 5k registration closes 7:45am, and Fun Run registration closes 8:45am.
8 am – 5k starts
9 am – Fun Run starts
Food/beverages avail for event participants in Jubilee Park following each event.
9:30am (or sooner if available) — race results for 5k will be announced.
STREET CLOSURE – N. 15th will be closed between Colcord and West Avenue.
PARKING – Available on surrounding streets. Mission Waco also has parking lot at N. 13th & Colcord and a vacant lot at N. 12th & Colcord. Come early!
The 5k will have chip timing by All Sports Timing.
No official timing on the Fun Run — it’s for fun!
5k and Fun Run Courses
5k route starts in front of Jubilee Park heading across Colcord, then winds through the gentle hills of Brook Oaks Neighborhood before the final push up Morrow to N. 15th and on to the finish line! Water stop provided near mid-point. Volunteers and mile markers along the route to help you stay on course. Here’s the 5k Course Map.
5K Overall Winners by year:
Pepito Martinez 20:06 (2021) Chelsy Cork 23:04 (2021)
John Slosted 19:29.1 (2019) Hadley Phillips 22:43.1 (2019)
Jonathan Carl 17:58 (2018) Chelsy Cork 22:07 (2018)
Antonio Danel (2017) Courteney Cox (2017)
Benjamin Sims 17:54 (2016) Ashley Wallace 22:01 (2016)
Antonio Danel 18:49 (2015) Emily Zakhary 21:49 (2015)
Alex Salas 16:56.87 (2014) Emily Zakhary 19:46.46 (2014)
Danes Omoso 17:21.46 (2013) Emily Zakhary 21:11.65 (2013)
Cassius Elston 17:08 (2012) Stephani Baugh 22:57 ( 2012)
Fun Run (1 mile) starts in front of Jubilee Park, then a quick jaunt down N. 15th to the mid-point turnaround just past Barron Ave. Fun Run will not be timed — it’s just for fun!
For either event: Walkers and strollers are welcome on the route – please stay to rear of group at start. Well-behaved leashed pets under control of pet owner are also welcome.
1st place overall — Male and Female
Age group – 1st, 2nd, 3rd – Male and Female
Age group categories: 0-9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, 70+
If you don’t pick up your award on race day, please come by the main office 1315 N. 15th to get them. Awards/Prizes not picked up by end of May will be re-purposed with Mission Waco programs.
Packets for ALL preregistered will be available in Jubilee Park, 1308 N. 15th on race day at 7am, until 7:45am for 5k, and until 8:45am for 1 Mile Fun Run.
In addition, PAID pre-registrants may come to Early Packet Pickup on Friday before the race from 4-7pm (look for details in email that will be sent Wed 4/27).
Thanks for supporting Race ONE!
Mission Waco Mission World especially thanks ATO fraternity from Baylor for initiating the idea of Race ONE several years ago to provide a fun event to bring the community together and also raise funds to support Mission Waco Mission World programs. ATO members have continued to provide strategic leadership for the race, including race committee, recruiting sponsors, and providing lots of volunteers for race day.